POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Aug 2011 06:49:17
Message: <4e4f912d@news.povray.org>
On 19/08/2011 11:23 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> You do realize that about half the people here, including me, read this
> and thought, "Man I really hate this guy for being able to do that
> shit!", right? lol No wonder I can't even figure out some "basic" stuff
> I need for some 3D math. The most I ever derived was some non-standard
> way of multiplying two, two digit, numbers, so it wasn't necessary to do
> all the complicatedly silly stuff the teacher insisted we screw with. :p

Uh, *which* newsgroup am I in? :-?

Seriously though. I was awful at maths when I was at school. Then again,
when I was at school, "maths" consisted of doing endless arithmetic. In
class, you would have a textbook the size of a small hardback
dictionary. Most pages contained 40 questions. For example, you might
have a page containing 40 sums, another page containing 40
multiplications, another contained 40 long-divisions, and so on.

At the start of the book, you get to do really easy stuff like 3+7. They
would have several pages of adding, and then a few pages of subtracting,
then a few pages explaining how multiplication works, and then some
pages of multiplication, then how long multiplication works, and then
several pages of progressively harder long multiplication questions.
Then they might get you to do sums involving multiple numbers of
increasing size. Then they have a couple of pages explaining about
negative numbers, then you do progressively more complicated sums
involving multiple negative and positive quantities. Then they might
talk about long division, and get you to do a few hundred of those. And
then division and multiplication with negative quantities as well. Then
maybe they start talking about fractions...

Can you imagine anything more MIND-NUMBINGLY BORING than staring at a
sheet of 40 long division problems? YES, I GET IT! I KNOW HOW LONG
DIVISION WORKS! STOP BUGGING ME ALREADY! >_<

Seriously. If you know how it works, do you really need to do it 200
times over just to *prove* that you know how it works? It's not even
like it's particularly important to be able to *do* long division; it
isn't something you're going to need to do every day of your adult life.
You just need to have a firm grasp of /how/ it works and /why/ it works.
Once you've got that, practising it on endless question sheets is just
an utter waste of time.

I was always quite bad at arithmetic. I still am. The difference is that
today, I use a frigging *computer* to do the work for me. :-P My job is
to figure out what the actual calculation is; the computer does the
mundane work of actually *running* it.

It wasn't until I got to college that I discovered, mainly due to DKJ,
that "mathematics" consists of something other than just doing hundreds
of identical long division calculations over and over again. Mathematics
provides a systematic way of solving puzzles and problems. It lets you
manipulate and analyse hypothetical entities who's identity (or, indeed,
existence) is as-yet unknown. Through tools like FractInt, I discovered
that mathematics can be beautiful. I spent almost all of my time at
college sat in the library, absorbing everything I could lay my hands on.

At school, fractions were about the most sophisticated topic we came
into contact with. Oh, and drawing graphs on graph paper. We a little
bit of that too. But at college, I learned how to do algebra. I learned
about complex numbers, vectors and matricies, polynomials, solving
equations, differential and integral calculus, cryptography, and so on.

By the way, it's not always easy to learn this kind of stuff from books.
You may not realise, but mathematics is a *very* old subject. It abounds
with strange vocabulary and archaic turns of phrase. For example,
instead of a third-order polymonial, a book might talk about a
polynomial "of order three". On top of that, the books frequently assume
prior knowledge that I don't have. If you're smart you can sometimes
figure out the missing pieces for yourself. But sometimes it's really
hard to follow what's happening. To this day, I /still/ can't figure out
most logic textbooks. And I guess that's simply because I have nobody to
ask.

There's some really interesting stuff out there. Like, group theory,
where you *make up* new kinds of entities which you can "add" and
"subtract" in a mannar similar to ordinary numbers. How neat is that? Or
matrix algebra, where you gain the tools necessary for doing crazy 3D
work. Complex numbers, like normal numbers but with added superpowers.
Cryptology, a battle of whits between code-maker and code-breaker. I
could go on and on.

Most people I know seem to be "afraid" of mathematics. Like "oh man,
there's no way I could ever understand that stuff". Without even
actually trying. I'm stupid, and I managed it, so how hard can it
possibly be?

I suspect it's some combination of math being taught badly, a cultural
expectation that math is impossible to understand, and a society where
stupidity is seen as desirable.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/