POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curious perversions of IT : Re: Curious perversions of IT Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curious perversions of IT
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Aug 2011 06:41:52
Message: <4e4f8f70$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/08/2011 11:24 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 20.08.2011 11:49, schrieb Orchid XP v8:
>> Lest anyone doubt this, at uni we learned about something called
>> Computer Aided Software Engineering ("CASE"). We used a tool called
>> Rational Rose. You draw various class diagrams, flowcharts, etc., and
>> then press a button, and it spits out C++ source code. If your diagrams
>> are detailed enough, the generated code actually compiles and runs, and
>> *is* "the finished system".
>
> Similarly, Matlab/Simulink allows you to write your program by visually
> "wiring" kind of "mathematic gates" (arithmetic ops, logical ops,
> integrators, differentiators, level triggers, signal generators, signal
> filters and what-have-you) and then have that translated to C and
> ultimately machine code. Seen that recently hands-on in production use,
> for the electronic controller of a car transmission.

Reaktor does the some thing with DSP. I can pick up a sawtooth
oscilator, a 2-poly LP filter, an ADSR envolope generator, hook them
together, and I've got a synthesizer. Not impressed? How about I hook
together a couple of 1-sample delay units, some (+) and (*) nodes, and
implement my 2-pole filter from first principles?

Other "module synthesizers" let you connect pre-built filters and so
forth together. Reaktor lets you design new ones from scratch, down to
the level of individual DSP algorithms. (On the other hand, it stupidly
lacks any kind of true subroutine capability, nor any looping constructs...)

>> All without you ever writing a single line of code yourself. Or even
>> knowing *how* to program C++.
>>
>> So yes, if your design is detailed enough, the translation is (or can be
>> made) automatic.
>
> ... provided you trust the code generator.

And the compiler. And the processor implementation. And, hell, the
entire hardware system you're going to run it on. And, if you want to be
picky about it, assuming your trust mankind's understandig of the laws
of physics...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/