POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curious perversions of IT : Re: Curious perversions of IT Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:45:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curious perversions of IT
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Aug 2011 05:49:39
Message: <4e4f8333$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/08/2011 01:31 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 8/19/2011 15:05, clipka wrote:
>> Well, not precisely - you still have to translate the design of what you
>> want to build into a computer-palatable language. And it so happens that
>> often you find out during this phase that you weren't clear about what
>> *exactly* you wanted to build.
>
> That's part of being sufficiently exact. If you're sufficiently exact,
> the translation step can be automated. (For example, we call that "a
> compiler". ;-)

Lest anyone doubt this, at uni we learned about something called
Computer Aided Software Engineering ("CASE"). We used a tool called
Rational Rose. You draw various class diagrams, flowcharts, etc., and
then press a button, and it spits out C++ source code. If your diagrams
are detailed enough, the generated code actually compiles and runs, and
*is* "the finished system".

All without you ever writing a single line of code yourself. Or even
knowing *how* to program C++.

So yes, if your design is detailed enough, the translation is (or can be
made) automatic.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/