POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curious perversions of IT : Re: Curious perversions of IT Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curious perversions of IT
From: clipka
Date: 19 Aug 2011 11:05:51
Message: <4e4e7bcf$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.08.2011 15:21, schrieb Mike the Elder:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Suppose the local government wants to build a bridge across a large

>> go with the last one?? WTF?! No! Nobody *ever* does this!
>> So if it doesn't happen in structural engineering, why the hell does it
>> constantly happen in software engineering?
>

> cases where software companies are ready, willing and eager to charge many, many
> times the amount that actually needs to be spent in order to achieve what the

> and sell them to anyone who will buy them.  If we manage to sell one to someone

> technically unskilled buyers for suspecting that one or more software vendors
> are trying to bamboozle them into spending large multiples of the actual
> necessary amount. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

Another problem is that big companies understand why their
custom-tailored software must necessarily eat more IT funds than a copy
of MS Office, but small companies are often surprised when they find it
costs a lot more to introduce some off-the-shelf business software into
their business processes.

> And for those who would reply:

> individuals who only want to be paid a fair price for the products they work
> hard to produce. There are just a few bad apples out there unjustly tarnishing

> I would very much appreciate it if you would supply me with the name and
> coordinates (preferably GCS) of the planet on which you are living.

Software industry managers are managers after all, so what do people
expect :-)

> The REAL problem, as I see it, is the pig-headed unwillingness of so many
> corporate executives to employ people who actually KNOW whether $4,000.00
> software or $4,000,000.00 software is needed and allow them to make the purchase
> decisions.
>
> I do know even more about how to solve this problem permanently, but I would

> detailing this solution could be YOURS in only six months for a mere
> $285,000.00.*

Worse yet, IT consulting companies typically try to not only sell
consultancy, but also the resulting project; so they might for instance
recommend a solution based on project ABC rather than XYZ just because
they recently had some ABC project exploding in their face and now try
to get half a dozen idle ABC experts billable again.