POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curious perversions of IT : Re: Curious perversions of IT Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curious perversions of IT
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Aug 2011 04:34:02
Message: <4e4e1ffa$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/08/2011 08:51 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 8/18/2011 8:04, Invisible wrote:
>> The question is, why does this kind of nonsense only happen in IT?
>
> Because IT is all virtual. Nobody who doesn't understand what's going on
> knows how to evaluate the results.

I suppose that's it then.

> Someone can look at a bridge across a wide river and say "Heck, no way
> any sane person can build it for $4000." But there's no concept there
> for software.

So, like I said, a bridge built by idiots looks nothing like a bridge
built by professionals, but software built by idiots sometimes /does/
look like the stuff the professionals build.

>> So if it doesn't happen in structural engineering, why the hell does it
>> constantly happen in software engineering?
>
> Because people understand physics, and they don't understand
> informatics.

I guess that's what it comes down to.

And yet, you can tell the difference between a video shot by a couple of
students and edited in their bedroom, verses one shot as part of a
multi-million dollar film production. And nobody would expect to be able
to produce Hollywood-class results on a £25 budget. That's fairly
virtual. I've even seen videos on YouTube with blockbuster-style digital
effects. And yet, you can still tell it's not the work of a pro.

> Plus, people doing structural stuff like that aren't doing
> something entirely new, but people don't duplicate what's already done
> in software.

I'm not sure that's *completely* true.

 From time to time, somebody builds something that's truly
ground-breaking. The world's tallest building, perhaps. Or the longest
bridge. Or whatever.

And while no two pieces of software are /exactly/ alike, lots of them
are extremely damned similar. How many compilers are there? How many
relational database engines? How many Java VM implementations? How many
versions of the MP3 codec? Need I go on?

Still, I take your point.