POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encrypted storage : Re: Encrypted storage Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Encrypted storage
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Aug 2011 19:40:13
Message: <4e4da2dd$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:24:16 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 8/18/2011 14:49, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> What I wish they had for the Linux version was the option for a hidden
>> OS like they do with Windows.
>
> What does that even mean? That you can boot off the trucrypt partition?

Yep.  They've got a special bootloader that's installed (can be made to
present something that looks like there's nothing installed, but you type
your password in), and then it boots the hidden OS.  You can combine that
with a non-hidden OS (though hidden partitions with regular encrypted
partitions can be dangerous - unless you mount the outer volume so it
protects the inner volume, you risk overwriting data in the inner volume)
so the sensitive data is completely hidden from view.

It's an interesting concept.

Jim