POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encrypted storage : Re: Encrypted storage Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Encrypted storage
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Aug 2011 13:15:35
Message: <4e4d48b7$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:09:56 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Oh, GPG is quite capable of taking /multiple/ files and encrypting the
>>> entire lot as one binary blob. So all you know is that it's encrypted,
>>> and how big it is. You can't tell how many files are inside, nor what
>>> their uncompressed size is...
>>
>> I haven't looked at GPG in a while, but didn't know it could do that.
>> I'll have to have another look at it.
>
> PGP can encrypt a bunch of files as a self-decrypting executable file.
> Then again, PGP [now] costs money. AFAIK, GPG doesn't have this feature.

Of course, that executable file would probably only run on Windows,
natch. ;)

>> But with Truecrypt, you can encrypt the entire device and there's no
>> indication of anything on it other than just random data.
>
> Sure. There is that. In fact, I'm told there's a number of freeware
> whole-drive encryption products. They're usually applied to HDs, but I
> suppose they should apply equally to portable ones.
>
> I also imagine that such products have to be /installed/ on any machine
> before they can be used. GPG has the advantage that it's just a single
> executable. I mean, the whole point of portable storage is to be, you
> know, /portable/. If I encrypt all my stuff and put it on a flash drive,
> and put a copy of GPG on there as well, I can decrypt on any PC I might
> visit. (Especially if I include a Linux binary as well as a Windows
> one.) If I use Truecrypt or similar, any time I visit another PC I have
> to spend time installing and configuring software before I can access my
> data.

Actually, using Truecrypt on Linux doesn't require system-level access,
and you just run a single executable.  The Windows version does use a
filesystem driver, though, so on Windows you do need to install it before
you can use it.

> The same advantages apply to drives with hardware encryption, of
> course...

True.

Jim