POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Aug 2011 04:03:02
Message: <4e4b75b6$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Why do you say that? I had access to Windows source code at my previous
>>> job. Not the OS, but selected libraries.
>>
>> You can actually do that?
>
> Sure.

This surprises me.

>>> Anything with a text box. One of the nifty things about Windows is that
>>> early on, back when Gates was still making tech decisions, they built a
>>> text box object that *everyone* can use.
>>
>> Isn't that how every OS works?
>
> No. Actually, Bill Gates invented that concept.
>
>> Oh, wait. Linux. The OS where every X Windows program has an utterly
>> unrelated look and feel. (And usually a sucky one.) >_<
>
> And pretty much everything before about Win95.

Not AmigaOS. :-P

I'm pretty sure that provided a set of widgets that everybody used too.
Like I say, I thought that /all/ operating systems except Unix work this
way.

>> Of course, /everything/ is possible given enough manpower. My point is
>> that
>> writing a handful of lines of elisp is easier than writing something as
>> complex and monolithic as a VS plugin.
>
> A handful of lines of elisp doesn't really replicate the functionality
> of a VS plug-in. It's going to be lots of lines of elisp for each
> function you want to support.

On the other hand, if I want to make a small change to VS, I have to
write an entire giant plugin. Whereas with Emacs, I can write just a
single Lisp expression, or a few lines, or lots of lines, or an entire
major mode, or whatever. (As I understand it, anyway...)

>>> Well, no, adding libraries to Tcl when you're using freewrap is going to
>>> make anything difficult.
>>
>> Oh, that's the problem, is it?
>
> Most likely. Give it a try. The latest Tcl's are pretty easy to get
> batteries-included set up.

More to the point, I have a VM now, which means I can get around the
requirement to "install" it.

(If I install software on my physical machine, I have to record that
I've done this. If I install stuff in a VM, I don't.)

OTOH, I stopped using Tcl for a reason...