POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Software engineering : Re: Software engineering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Software engineering
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Aug 2011 19:00:10
Message: <4e4af67a$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/9/2011 2:03, Invisible wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 05:14 PM, Darren New wrote:
>
>> There's a reason people still use the ZIP format and not 101 other
>> formats that compress better.
>
> I believe it's called "compatibility".

That's exactly the point. The original author of the zip format said "you
may add any extensions and implement it all you want, as long as every zip
program can unzip whatever files you create."  I.e., he used a gnu-like
copyright license to insist that all zip programs interoperate.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?