POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Aug 2011 18:57:54
Message: <4e4af5f2@news.povray.org>
On 8/9/2011 1:58, Invisible wrote:
>> Remember that DbC is a *design* technique, not a coding technique.
>
> If that were true, then DbC would be /entirely/ orthogonal to the eventual
> implementation techniques.

Look up BON. It's basically DbC with empty implementations, and boxes and
arrows.

>> Why do you say that? I had access to Windows source code at my previous
>> job. Not the OS, but selected libraries.
>
> You can actually do that?

Sure.

> Sure. Device drivers are loadable modules. (Apparently with Linux, they
> aren't. You actually have to recompile the entire kernel to add a new device
> driver. Which is just weird...)

It depends on the module, I think.

> But if I wanted, say, to change the way services are managed... that's
> hard-wired in.

No it isn't. It's just one of the programs that runs, just like in Linux.
You can replace it or supplement it, but nobody does, because it works.

>>> You mean there's more than one program that uses that particular shortcut
>>> (for the same thing)?
>>
>> Anything with a text box. One of the nifty things about Windows is that
>> early on, back when Gates was still making tech decisions, they built a
>> text box object that *everyone* can use.
>
> Isn't that how every OS works?

No. Actually, Bill Gates invented that concept.

> Oh, wait. Linux. The OS where every X Windows program has an utterly
> unrelated look and feel. (And usually a sucky one.) >_<

And pretty much everything before about Win95.

> Of course, /everything/ is possible given enough manpower. My point is that
> writing a handful of lines of elisp is easier than writing something as
> complex and monolithic as a VS plugin.

A handful of lines of elisp doesn't really replicate the functionality of a
VS plug-in. It's going to be lots of lines of elisp for each function you
want to support.

>> Well, no, adding libraries to Tcl when you're using freewrap is going to
>> make anything difficult.
>
> Oh, that's the problem, is it?

Most likely. Give it a try. The latest Tcl's are pretty easy to get
batteries-included set up.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?