POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? : Re: You what? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:26:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You what?
From: Warp
Date: 15 Aug 2011 11:28:10
Message: <4e493b0a@news.povray.org>
Francois Labreque <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > "Wife-hitting" is considered an
> > unofficial national sport. (If you were to believe what these people write,
> > you would think that domestic violence would be a very widespread and common
> > problem in Finnish society. Actual statistics be damned.)

> Actually, if it is indeed considered normal to physically hit your wife,
> then it's very likely that it will go unreported and that statistics
> will underestimate the actual numbers.

  Wife beating is certainly not considered normal here. I don't know how
easily Finnish women report acts of domestic violence as I don't have
first-hand knowledge or experience, but AFAIK the threshold is relatively
low, mainly thanks to a relatively widespread feminism (the positive kind,
ie. the kind that teaches that a woman does not have to tolerate an abusive
husband/boyfriend).

--
                                                          - Warp