POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Password difficulty : Re: Password difficulty Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Password difficulty
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Aug 2011 07:47:12
Message: <4e43c140$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/08/2011 09:09 AM, Invisible wrote:

> As I recently wrote, this is the utterly counter-intuitive thing about
> combinatorics. The exponential function works in such a way that X
> digits can be trivially crackable, but X+Y, where Y is a fairly small
> number, can be utterly infeasible to crack.

Number of common | Number of combinations | Crack time at
dictionary words |                        | 10^6 guesses / second
-----------------+------------------------+-------------------------
         1        |                  8,000 | ~8 milliseconds
         2        |             64,000,000 | ~1 minute
         3        |        512,000,000,000 | ~6 days
         4        |  4,069,000,000,000,000 | ~130 years
         5        | ###################### | ~1.039 million years

So a 1-word password is trivially breakable, 2 is trivial, 3 is vaguely
challenging (for one desktop PC), and 4 is for all intents and purposes
unbreakable unless you have a fairly large quantity of hardware and/or
unusually fast hardware. 5 is probably unbreakable no matter what
hardware you have.

It's quite surprising that a 2-word password is weak as hell, and yet a
4-word password is really very strong. You would have thought it would
require a 20-word password or something to get good security...

All of these calculations of course assume that the words involved are
/truly random/. If they're picked by a human, they aren't random. For
example "correct horse battery staple" is almost all nouns. Words like
"dog" are far more likely to be picked than "sifaka". (It's a kind of
lemur. Go look it up.)

You could probably do some sort of statistical analysis to order the
search in terms of more common words first, and it would probably go
much, much faster.