POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Post your first image! : Re: Post your first image! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post your first image!
From: clipka
Date: 10 Aug 2011 13:30:10
Message: <4e42c022$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.08.2011 19:40, schrieb s.day:
> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>>
>> The image was most likely rendered on a 386 DX-40 machine (without
>> mathematical co-processor), using /some/ DOS version of POV-Ray
>> (presumably 2.0). As for the rendering time, I just recall it to have
>> been /awfully/ long.
>
> I thought the DX machines were the ones with the co-processor, my first PC was a
> 386 SX-33 and I remember complaining to the person who built it as I had asked
> for a DX with a co-processor and 4MB of memory. I remember him saying nothing
> has been written to use the co-processors so he did not think there was any
> point in adding one. Also asking me why I needed 4MB of memory, he obviously was
> not aware of POV-Ray.

The 386 processors did not feature an on-die coprocessor yet; AFAIR, the
SX/DX designation specified the size of the data bus (full 32 bit in the
DX, multiplexed 2x16 bit in the SX) for this CPU generation.

The first x86 CPU with on-die coprocessor was the 486, with the SX/DX
designation indeed specifying whether the integrated coprocessor was
enabled (DX) or disabled (SX, possibly dies with a defective coprocessor
unit).

(Fun fact: The corresponding chip to upgrade a 486-SX system - the 80487
- was *not* a coprocessor after all, but essentially a full-fledged
486-DX CPU instead, which would take over full control of the system,
disabling the system's mounted 486-SX.)