POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:34:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Aug 2011 18:35:39
Message: <4e41b63b$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/9/2011 10:53 AM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid XP v8<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> You know what? I also wouldn't use a text editor to edit a sound file.
>> And I *definitely* wouldn't use a sound editor to edit a text file.
>
>    I have actually edited video files with a hex editor. (VirtualDub is not
> a video editing software, just an extremely primitive video re-encoding
> tool, and hence it's extremely picky about things. For example if you want
> to append one video to another, they must have the exact same framerate.
> There aren't many video editing software out there that allows you to go
> and just change the framerate setting of a video file, so a hex editor is
> handy for this, once you know which values in the header of the file you
> have to change.)
>
>    So if my text editor support hex-editing, why shouldn't I edit such a
> video file with it?

Interesting.. Nice to know you can do something like that. Mind, it
would help a lot more if all the free shit wasn't near total crap, and
the rest of it expensive. Was trying to take some not even quite HD
level video a while back and zip it together into DVD format, to put on
a disk, and there was literally not one function in VirtualDub, or
anything else I had, that didn't make the result a) look like total
crap, or b) have sound glitches. TMPGEnc even has a "known" bug in its
encoder, which causes sound glitches, ranging from mis-sync, to gaps,
when trying to create a file, or combine them. Its fixed, of course, in
the "professional" encoder they now supply with the non-free version.
Sigh...

I keep hoping to see the equivalent of a "Blender" style, free and
actually fully functional, video editor (which means being able to pick
frames to work with, among other things, and not slowing to a crawl,
because it tries to crap 100% of the video in memory, or generates 70
temp files, taking up 50 times the space the final result needs on the
drive its using), with complete set of features (instead of the subset
of, "Slap your photos into a a video and and music!"), at some point,
but.. somehow I doubt its going to happen any time soon.