POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Aug 2011 18:26:13
Message: <4e41b405$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/9/2011 1:39 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> You are missing the point. You said:
>>
>>> OK, fair enough. However, I don't work with any file formats where such
>>> trailing spaces would be significant.
>>
>>> I also don't work with any file formats which should ever contain a tab
>>> character, so I've configured my editor to strip those too.
>>
>> Which is contradictory with your earlier lamentation that you don't have
>> any hex editor. (If you never work with any file formats where
>> automatically
>> stripping some characters breaks the file, what would you use a hex
>> editor
>> for?)
>
> Sometimes I almost think you misunderstand me on purpose...
>
> Binary files and text files aren't the same. Editing binary isn't the
> same as editing text. If I'm editing text, then I /want/ my editor to do
> helpful things like strip unnecessary spaces, convert tabs to spaces,
> and so on and so forth. If I'm editing binary [which currently I can't,
> but if I could...] I don't want anything to be changed unless I ask for it.
Hmm. Then you are just about the only one that does want it to do those
things for you. The single most piss me off to no end thing "text
controls" do, whether its an editor, or say.. an entry box on some web
site, is "help me" by ripping out indents, and sometimes even paragraph
breaks, because I, obviously, didn't know what the hell I was doing when
I typed it. In the case of the web pages, its usually the same ones that
refuse to support "code" tags, or "blockquote". lol