POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tumblr, Images and Copyrights : Re: Tumblr, Images and Copyrights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tumblr, Images and Copyrights
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Aug 2011 01:03:05
Message: <4e40bf89@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 21:51:57 -0400, nemesis wrote:

>> On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 18:04:27 -0400, Cousin Ricky wrote:

>> > Do the lawyers know this?
>>
>> Given the number of lawsuits from MPAA, RIAA, IFPI, and other
>> intellectual property bodies, I bet they do know that people think
>> that.
>
> People don't give a fuck.

Which is precisely the point.  People (in general) tend to care about one
thing:  themselves.  Or rather, they don't think any further than the
instant gratification they get from downloading a song rather than paying
for it.

The artist not getting paid is not their problem.  In fact, the artist
getting paid, a lot of times, is not because of piracy (though that
certainly reduces the revenue stream to $0), but because of the
moneygrubbing **AA-like organisations that keep 90% of the profits for
themselves and pay the artist a pittance.....and then deduct "expenses"
from it for things like "advertising" or "marketing" - you know,
nonessential services that those bastard artists think is important so
they might as well do it, but it's not coming out of the **AA's pockets.

I understand the **AA's reasons for fighting online piracy (it is
ostensibly to cut off the supply for those who actually do make
counterfeit CDs and DVDs; I saw a very interesting presentation by the
general counsel of the RIAA a few years ago about this topic).

But in the context of "you're doing it wrong"...."YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"
- taking down someone who has nothing doesn't send a message other than
you're a bunch of moneygrubbing lawyers who don't pay their artists. They
should talk more about the physical media counterfeiters they've busted
and make some noise about that.

Jim