POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Warp
Date: 4 Aug 2011 17:21:59
Message: <4e3b0d77@news.povray.org>
> Actually, I notice the same artifact here as I did with "fill mode". In
> that mode, whenever you finish typing something, Emacs wraps it at 70
> characters for you. Which is nice and all, but you know what? As I'm
> typing this post right now, Thunderbird is going the same thing
> /interactively/. It doesn't wait until I've stopped typing and than
> rearrange all my text. It arranges it as I type, so I can immediately
> see what the result will be like.

  I hate text editors that do some kind of automatic line splitting without
asking (especially if you can't turn the feature off). I like emacs because
it doesn't change anything in the file you open unless you explicitly ask
it to. You can open a *binary* file in emacs, save it, and it will be
identical to the original. The same cannot be said from most other text
editors (especially in Windows) which do tons of "smart" things automatically
(such as convert newline characters, unprintable characters, etc.)

  In fact, thanks to this property, you can use emacs as a hex editor.
It has a built-in hex-editing mode. (Yes, some other text editors have
that too. Not many, though.)

--
                                                          - Warp