POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Aug 2011 17:20:48
Message: <4e3b0d30$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2011 12:26, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> None of these are exactly "small" or "obscure" or "primarily for Linux". And
> yet, no COM.

Well, there's another reason people rage about IE still being popular for
intranet purposes. It's because people writing the new browsers ignore the
environment they're in.

The problem with COM is that it's not something you can really paste on
after the fact. If your system isn't very Model-view-controller, it's hard
to make it interface with a COM interface.

> But in trying to come up with a list... yeah, most of the stuff I have is
> FOSS, which probably explains why no COM.

That and people who are doing firefox development don't *expect* you to use
it in an automated way, or they expect you to automate it solely thru
javascript.

Anyone building something for a *business* to use is going to use COM for
the interface on Windows.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366757%28VS.85%29.aspx

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)