POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
26 Sep 2024 23:35:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Aug 2011 16:18:54
Message: <4e3afeae$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/08/2011 04:48 PM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> The more vocal proponents will tell you how Emacs is the most advanced,
>> sophisticated, powerful and generally /perfect/ piece of software that
>> Mankind has ever produced, and that no other editor could ever come
>> close to equalling its supreme perfection. And yet, none of them can
>> explain /why/ it's so perfect. (Except that, hey, you can *customise* it!)
>
>    It's things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAd41VAXWo

Heh. Now, see, while it /is/ kind of neat that a terminal program can do
that, it would be far neater if my text editor could pop up a real GUI
for managing a table *properly*, and then convert that into HTML.

Actually, I notice the same artifact here as I did with "fill mode". In
that mode, whenever you finish typing something, Emacs wraps it at 70
characters for you. Which is nice and all, but you know what? As I'm
typing this post right now, Thunderbird is going the same thing
/interactively/. It doesn't wait until I've stopped typing and than
rearrange all my text. It arranges it as I type, so I can immediately
see what the result will be like.

Actually, I'm not sure why Emacs can't do that too. But then, this is
from the editor who's *beginner* documentation tells you how to turn off
certain screen updates "in case you're using a slow terminal". As if
that's actually a valid thing to worry about in 2011. "Oh man, /why/ did
I go with the VT101? Sure, the VT102 is more expensive, but it would
make this task much easier!"

The editing above seems to have the same problem. It seems you have to
press a certain key to realign all the cell boundaries, instead of them
moving as you type. (The fact that the HTML doesn't update isn't a big
deal. Presumably you'll only bother updating that when you're done.)

>    (As for the rest of your post, tl;dr, sorry.)

I had to go look that up... Ironically, the article is *very* short. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/