POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
26 Sep 2024 23:36:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Warp
Date: 4 Aug 2011 15:34:52
Message: <4e3af45c@news.povray.org>
> On 8/4/2011 9:57, Warp wrote:
> > Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
> >
> >> Why the hell would I do that?
> >
> >    Ah, the magic words. The always trusty answer when you can't do something.
> >
> >    A simple "no" would have sufficed, you know.

> No, I'm serious. Why would I want to do that? Why wouldn't I just access the
> file remotely, instead of accessing the program remotely.

  I think there has been a miscommunication here.

  Emacs has always been deemed as a very powerful text editor during its
entire history, which goes back to the 70's (as incredible as that might
sound). The question was: Why? I gave one example of why. Back in the 80's
and early 90's, when the most common way of using a Unix system was through
a dumb terminal, or if you were lucky, telnet, you could already do stuff
like this. You could do this back when Windows didn't even exist, and Mac OS
was a monochrome low-resolution OS running on a bird house. (Granted, even
emacs was more primitive back then than it is today, but it was still pretty
powerful.)

  Please don't cling to this specific example and argue how this-or-that
program can also do the same. It was just one example.

  So I was answering the question of why emacs has traditionally been
considered a pretty badass program by unix freaks for most of computing
history.

  Have other software caught up and able to do similar things today?
Certainly. However, emacs still has its avid fans, due to its long history.

  And also, most text editors (even commercial ones) *can't* do the same
things as emacs can.

--
                                                          - Warp