POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Aug 2011 13:28:59
Message: <4e3ad6db$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2011 10:01, Warp wrote:
>    That reminds me of all the people who complain how the Gimp can't do this
> and the Gimp can't do that, always comparing it to PhotoShop.

Except that's an actual, real example from my actual, real life. Once a
year, I wind up with about 2000 rows of spreadsheet in a text document for
the internal revenue service. :-)

NFW would I try to use emacs to lay out a spreadsheet to generate a 90-page
report that has to fit properly the pre-printed forms the government
expects. That's just not a text-editor thing.

I understand what you're saying. But I think a large number of people who
(for example) say people are stupid for paying for something like Office are
the people who don't use it in situations where it's worth paying for. They
say things like "why would I need a 90-page-long table with totals under
some columns embedded in the middle of some other text document, especially
a table where some third party is going to control the width of the columns
and the layout of the text?"

>    The thing is, the rare occasion I need to do some image editing, I'd
> rather use the *free* software rather than pay big bucks for the pro
> software which might be really superb, but costs a kidney and runs only
> on Windows. The free alternative might not have even a fraction of the
> features, but at least it's free and available for my system of choice.

Well, sure. You're not the target market. Every pro I've talked to who has
tried Gimp says not only is it very limited, it's not organized in a way
that matches the way one works on professional-size documents and layout.
Sort of the way Andrew is complaining about Ctl-S vs ctl-x ctl-s not being
intuitive or needing more keystrokes for the common case.

Imagine if you took Blender, and arranged the options in the windows at the
bottom based on where in the code you implemented them, rather than putting
all the texture stuff in one place and all the animation stuff in another
place and all the modeling stuff in a third place. I might not find that
distressing, but any professional used to some expensive package like Maya
would say "who the heck designed this?"

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?