POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Aug 2011 13:25:40
Message: <4e3ad614$1@news.povray.org>
>>>     Can you do it in a text terminal through ssh?
>
>> Why the hell would I do that?
>
>    Ah, the magic words. The always trusty answer when you can't do something.
>
>    A simple "no" would have sufficed, you know.

Can I run it removely? Yes.

Can I run it remotely using 40-year old technology? No.

Would I want to? No.

>> and then showed embedding a spreadsheet into a text
>> document and regenerating HTML from that. And the answer is "yes, my text
>> editor can do that." I mean, come on, they're showing off that they can put
>> columns in a text file that adjust to the width of the text in the column?
>> Yes, indeed, my text editor can do that.
>
>    Are you sure you don't mean "my spreadsheet software, embedded in my
> word processor, can do that" instead of "my text editor can do that"?
> Not exactly the same thing.

One of the things they claim is so great about Emacs is that you can
hook it up to external programs (grep, ls, diff, make, etc.)

Under Windows, it's way harder to do this via the CLI, but also way
easier for the tiny number of systems that support stuff like COM.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/