POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS : Re: The other OS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other OS
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Aug 2011 12:44:53
Message: <4e3acc85$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2011 9:22, Warp wrote:
>    Can you do it in a text terminal through ssh?

Why the hell would I do that? I can run it remotely in a variety of ways,
but no, not in a text terminal.

Can emacs run on a hardcopy terminal?

> Can you customize the
> functionality, change it, add new features or modify existing ones?

Yep. Heck, at this point, I can program it in C# instead of elisp. I can
also trivially connect it to and incorporate anything else that has a COM or
.NET scripting interface under Windows, including remoting it to other
processors on the network, in order to extend its functionality. It's messes
like that that make it popular - the fact that the average business user can
get something custom done without going thru the IT department.

> Can
> you run it on Windows, Linux, MacOS X, BSD, Solaris, and basically any
> Unix-style OS in existence? Can you get that software for free?

That wasn't the question, tho. The question the video asked is "can your
text editor do this" and then showed embedding a spreadsheet into a text
document and regenerating HTML from that. And the answer is "yes, my text
editor can do that." I mean, come on, they're showing off that they can put
columns in a text file that adjust to the width of the text in the column?
Yes, indeed, my text editor can do that.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?