POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Prism over a height_field? : Re: Prism over a height_field? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:29:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prism over a height_field?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 31 Jul 2011 02:50:39
Message: <4e34fb3f@news.povray.org>
On 31-7-2011 3:07, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>> The attached image is the render of a prism object (linear_sweep
>> bezier_spline) generated by Inkscape from an image.
>
> If you exported the drawing as image instead of contour you could
> use it as height_field with varying heights coded in color (but maybe
> not enough resolution for your large city). You could then add your
> terrain height image to make it follow the terrain.

Yes, that is correct. I have used that technique in the past. The reason
I switched to prisms is that - in my experience - the height_fields
generated from the image were not crisp enough to simulate buildings. At
a distance that might not be too problematic, but I am afraid that even
at the middle distance it would be perturbing the view. Still, I think I
should return to the technique and see were it brings me. Thanks for
reminding me of this.

I am now working with prisms on a part of the city now, as a first
approach, and it looks promising. I shall come back with that later
today probably.

A drawback of prisms is that in the end render time will increase. If I
had a way to go from prisms to meshes.... :-)

Thomas