POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question to the programers here : Re: Question to the programers here Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question to the programers here
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jul 2011 23:22:20
Message: <4e3378ec@news.povray.org>
On 7/29/2011 19:39, H. Karsten wrote:
> Maybe I should give myself a push and move-one to c++.
> As well I thought to go to Forth maybe, because of the stack, that makes it
> possible to get lots and lots of results, coming from just one function.

You know, as a novice programmer, I wouldn't go with either of those.

If you make a mistake in C++, it can be extremely confusing to figure out
where the mistake is.  Just like C.  And, indeed, Forth is just as bad in
that respect.(*) Both Forth and C++ are low-level powerful languages, full
of amazing capabilities, but easy to screw up in hard-to-fix ways.

I would recommend that if you want to learn something powerful as a first
step, you consider Python or perhaps Ruby. Once you're comfortable writing a
few hundred lines of code, or getting 1000 lines of your own code working
without giving up and tearing your hair out, you'll be in a much better
position to learn things that sacrifice easiness for speed. *Then* decide
whether you want to learn C++ so you can program system tools compatible
with everyone else, or learn Forth so you can write your own custom computer
languages easily, or whatever you want to do.

Smalltalk might also be a good choice, except that it's "strange" and
therefore might make learning things that are more "normal" difficult. For
example, Smalltalk pretends to be the entire operating system, so there's no
real concept of a Smalltalk "program".

(*) In spite of having written two Forth interpreters in assembly language,
I don't think I ever got a Forth procedure more than 5 lines long to work,
regardless of how long I tried to debug.
--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?