POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF moment : Re: Today's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF moment
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Jul 2011 10:05:37
Message: <4e32be31$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/07/2011 02:51 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

> The product description looks like it was written by Google's
> Translation tool. "Through a reverse osmosis and mixed bed facility is
> also demineralized water. " WAT????

lolrus.

Have you ever tried reading the user manual for a motherboard? I'm sure
those things are translated from Korean. Also love the way they say
things like "option shadow video ram: causes shadowing of video ram".
Gee, like, I couldn't figure that out. WHAT IS SHADOWING?! :-P

>> For this application (i.e., liquid cooling a computer), dissolved gas is
>> unlikely to be important.
>
> Actually, it would be. Gas bubbles have a very different heat transfer
> coeeficient and will act as an insulator, instead of a conductor.

This only matters if the gas comes out of solution. While it is /in/
solution, it is unimportant. Given the typical dimensions of the various
water-cooling components, you'd have to have pretty damned big bubbles
for it to matter.

To put it another way: Car engines are water-cooled. Typically not with
especially pure water either...

>> Also, while dissolved CO2 might make the water
>> very slightly acidic, pH 2 is *very* acidic. Either they got their
>> measurements hopelessly wrong, or this "very pure water" actually
>> contains some kind of additive (perhaps to limit corrosion or something).
>
> If it contains an additive, is it still "very pure"?

Exactly.

Didn't the Coca-Cola company at one time try selling "extremely pure
water" which was "triple-filtered" with "added minerals for extra purity"?

> Also, the bottle
> says that it is NOT an anti-corrosive agent, and that it should be mixed
> with one, preferably their own, of course.

You can READ that?? o_O

> Overall, I'm getting a bad-vibe from this product.

Heh, yeah. If I ever really /need/ very pure water... we lab has a
£8,000 water purification system? Maybe I should just use that? :-P