POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Call of Duty servers run Erlang : Re: Call of Duty servers run Erlang Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Call of Duty servers run Erlang
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Jul 2011 16:43:18
Message: <4e31c9e6$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/27/2011 8:39, Warp wrote:
>    It's even more fun when you painstakingly go through the entirety of
> your code,

I did that once when we were having these terrible crashes in a
large-for-the-time C program. Printed out an inch-thick stack of code and
read it line by line to make sure I hadn't screwed up some allocation.
(Found one bug that way, too, but it wasn't getting triggered by this case.)
But the problem wasn't in my code, but rather the supervisor's. He said
"What do we do about it?" I said "I tried to read your code, but I couldn't
even follow the top-level procedures, so you have to go thru it line by line
looking for the bug." He said "I don't have time to do that." I said "Then
you don't have time to fix the bug. I can't do it for you, because I don't
know what you expect your code to be doing."

Long story short, it turns out he'd been giving the wrong call-tree to the
overlay linker. So he not only didn't know what his bug was, he wasn't even
sure what order his code got called in.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?