POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cold boot : Re: Cold boot Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cold boot
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 28 Jul 2011 15:30:34
Message: <4e31b8da@news.povray.org>

> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> Why are you carrying sensitive information around on a laptop anyway?
>
>    I can imagine a scenario where a employee of a company uses his laptop
> to connect to some not-so-important computer of the company (over a secure
> connection, of course), and this might open a way for a pro hacker to
> access the company's more important servers if he gets access to the
> laptop and with that the login/password to that computer (which might
> itself not contain anything crucial, but which might make it much easier
> to then hack into the more important systems inside the company).
>
>    Far-fetched? Yes. Impossible? No. I'm almost 100% certain incidents not
> unlike this have happened many times in the history of computers.

And it is exactly why we were recently told that anyone who accesses
internal or customer systems in "privileged mode" had to use
company-owned and controlled assets to do so, because the company thinks
that it is better than us as preventing keyloggers from installing
themselves on our home PCs.

You know this policy came about because something happened somewhere...