POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Call of Duty servers run Erlang : Re: Call of Duty servers run Erlang Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:31:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Call of Duty servers run Erlang
From: Warp
Date: 27 Jul 2011 11:39:08
Message: <4e30311c@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   Of course with C++ (and C and other C-compatible languages) the rare
> circumstance where you get a nightmarish bug can be pretty fun.

  It's even more fun when you painstakingly go through the entirety of
your code, commenting out one piece at a time, every time testing if the
crash still happens (a very tedious task because the crashes happen at
random and are not guaranteed to happen every time), until you are left
with basically nothing else than a completely bare-bones "main" function,
and the crash is still happening. At that point you realize that the problem
is not in your code after all but somewhere else, and you still have no idea
where, or how it should be fixed.

  (On one hand it's a relief to know that I have not made an out-of-bounds
access or whatever, ie. my programming expertise really works. On the other
hand it sucks because the bug is still there, and now it's even more of a
mystery of why it happens and how it should be fixed.)

  (And yes, talking from experience here.)

--
                                                          - Warp