POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Call of Duty servers run Erlang : Re: Call of Duty servers run Erlang Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:32:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Call of Duty servers run Erlang
From: Warp
Date: 25 Jul 2011 12:20:08
Message: <4e2d97b8@news.povray.org>
> The stack trace in something like Java or Tcl is as useful as a full stack
> trace from gdb is in C, when you haven't actually clobbered memory in the
> unsafe languages.  I.e., you walk up the stack until you find your code that
> invokes the not-your-code, then you figure out what happened from there.

  But that's the problem: The buggy part of your code might not be in the
call stack at all anymore at the time the null pointer exception (or whatever
other symptom) happens.

  I know what a stack trace is and how to read it, and why I mentioned
several times that "the debugger is of no help whatsoever".

--
                                                          - Warp