POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All your radix are belong to us! : Re: All your radix are belong to us! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All your radix are belong to us!
From: Warp
Date: 24 Jul 2011 06:22:44
Message: <4e2bf274@news.povray.org>
> I'm not saying anything is *wrong* with C or the decisions the standards
> committee made. Just that expressing surprise that it's as tricky as it is
> doesn't imply you're ignorant.  "Real programmers think C isn't surprising,
> because if you're surprised by C, it means you're not a real programmer."

  We are probably using a slightly different meaning for "surprised".

  Everybody makes errors, and sometimes those errors happen because you
don't know the language well enough. The error would be a surprise if you
make that latter kind of error, and you have never heard of that feature
before, so it catches you by surprise. It's not a surprise if you already
knew about that language feature, but didn't realize it comes into play in
a complex piece of code. (The difference would be that after you resolve
the situation you think "ah, true, it indeed is that language feature
kicking in", so it's doesn't surprise you, rather than "I didn't know that
feature even existed".)

--
                                                          - Warp