POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I love a good debunking : Re: I love a good debunking Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I love a good debunking
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jul 2011 13:50:46
Message: <4e2866f6$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/21/2011 9:06, Warp wrote:
>    I have always wondered why companies seem to think so short-term.

Part of it is taxes. If you get paid in salary, you get like 39% tax rate.
If you get paid in stock and you leave it sit for a year, you get a 15% tax
rate. So the top executives ask to take their pay in stock, and then when
they want to leave the company, they want a giant boost in stock price. This
is how folks like Warren Buffett manage to pay less tax than their
secretaries, percentage-wise.

I.e., the future of something long-lived like a corporation is bollixed up
by the fact that the humans get a pay-out of company performance much
earlier.  It's simple greed, basically.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like