POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I love a good debunking : Re: I love a good debunking Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I love a good debunking
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Jul 2011 12:31:15
Message: <4e285453$1@news.povray.org>
Le 21/07/2011 18:06, Warp nous fit lire :
> Mike the Elder <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> It's not so much that this guy is actually *swaying* anyone in Congress, rather
>> it's simply the case that a large number of are legislators are bought and paid
>> for by corporate interests who are intent on maximizing their profits regardless
>> of the reality of global warmimg.  These folks are more than willing to exploit
>> any ol' diversion, misdirection or smoke screen (a genuinely accidental pun)
>> that becomes available.
>
>   I have always wondered why companies seem to think so short-term. It's
> like they are thinking: "Who cares what happens to the world 50 years from
> now? It's not like our company will even exist that long." Eh... Many
> companies, especially the successful ones, *do* exist decades, even
> centuries. Such short-term planning seems counterintuitive to the goal of
> a company succeeding big. Big success = company is prosperous for decades.
> Short-term planning = company dies when the world dies.

You forget one term: the people at the direction of the big companies
are nowadays playing a game of "get me a better score and I move to the
next company with a bigger raise".

Old companies were made and kept by old sentimental people.
New greedy goldenboys have another scale to measure their success: how
much did you get when selling your company ? (or how much would you...
like facebook: it's worth nothing, AFAIK, yet everybody think it is more
important than a banana-selling company).

And if you are not the owner of the company, the scale turns into: how
much raise can I get soon before swapping job in another big company.

It was a time in which 40 years in a single company was seen as good.
Nowadays, more than 3 years is stated as a failure!
(the failure on the first year is not your fault, it was due to your
predecessor... you have the second year to promote an empty picture as a
wonderful budget win... with a bit of luck, the third year is still ok
and nobody with power has interest in showing the potemkin villages as
what they are, while you move in your successful carrier to the next
company)

The basic of this gymnastic is: come in, a reform is needed, have a
committee study the issues, validate the reform, goes out before the
last part of the reform even reach all.

With enough luck, your reform can even be in progress with 2 previous
reforms and the next one too. Go find a guilty for the mess and good luck.