POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? : Re: You what? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You what?
From: Warp
Date: 18 Jul 2011 16:53:53
Message: <4e249d61@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> So, it's a degoratory term used to designate someone from an unfavorable
> origin, who, through hard work, sacrifices and perseverence, managed to
> rise above that background.

  If I understood correctly, it's probably more like they (ie. black people)
see him as a "traitor" to their subculture, one who doesn't want to belong
to his own people, to embrace their customs and culture, but instead tries
to live like the white people (who are often seen as the "oppressors", at
least by association).

  Of course the problem here is that they see it as him "trying to be white"
(with all the related culture and customs), when in fact it's probably just
that he wants a better life, as you commented.

--
                                                          - Warp