POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ossified : Re: Ossified Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ossified
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Jul 2011 12:20:55
Message: <4e245d67$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/17/2011 23:40, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> Sure. In the USA, it would be a religious practice, and therefore outside of
>> what people would be allowed to legislate.
>
>    That sounds like anything is allowed in the USA as long as it's religious
> practice. I find it hard to believe that's the case.

No. The rule is basically that congress can't promote religion or restrict
it. So if you want to bury sanitary bones in the attic, and that's your
religion, you get to do that. They can't say "your burial customs are
offensive." They'd actually have to cite some other law that has nothing to
do with religion, like health regulations. Otherwise, the whole "you're
offensive for putting a crucifix instead of a cross on your building"
problem starts coming up.  Obviously they wouldn't be regulating religion if
your religion says you're allowed to shoot people on the street, because the
law about not shooting people has nothing to do with religion.

There are, for example, religions whose ceremonies include smoking
hallucinogenic drugs that are illegal for anyone not of that religion. That
comes up in court every once in a while, but last I heard it's still legal.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like