POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? : Re: You what? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You what?
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Jul 2011 10:03:14
Message: <4e219a22$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/07/2011 1:38 PM, Warp wrote:
> Stephen<mcavoys_at@aoldotcom>  wrote:
>> On 16/07/2011 6:56 AM, Warp wrote:
>>>     So it's a derogatory term used by other black people?
>
>> Yes and some white people as well
>
>    I assume that with black people it's some kind of pride thing, and with
> white people it's traditional racism? (Although the former is also racism,
> technically speaking, although for some reason it's not PC to say it.)

Not necessarily, it could be sympathy, seeing things from an other
viewpoint.

>>>     Why shouldn't a person be free to act however he likes?
>
>> No reason at all, at all. But that is what people are like.
>
>    I wish people acted more rationally about these things. Keeping a subculture
> alive is ok and commendable (as long as the subculture in question isn't
> destructive and harmful to others), but if you start denigrating and shunning
> someone for not caring about it (or not wanting to be part of it), that just
> goes too far. Freedom is the highest of virtues, and being able to live and
> act however you want (as long as it's not harmful to others) is part of that,
> and nobody should have a saying on it.

I can't disagree with one word you have said.
Sometimes I get disapproval because I am a Scot living in London. (From
fellow Scots, that is. The English keep telling me that their
father/mother/grand-sires came from Scotland.)

--
Regards
     Stephen