POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting article on the Stuxnet virus : Re: Interesting article on the Stuxnet virus Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting article on the Stuxnet virus
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Jul 2011 03:34:48
Message: <4e213f18@news.povray.org>
On 16/07/2011 07:13 AM, Warp wrote:

>    If you need industrial-grade centrifuges, and the manufacturer of those
> centrifuges only makes control software for Windows, what are you going to
> do? Run it in Wine?

This is why our lab uses Windows software. (Despite at least two people
constantly whining that everything would be *so* much better if we did
everything with Macs.)

>    I'm assuming that even if Windows crashes, that will not cause malfunction
> on those centrifuges (or whatever else they are controlling from Windows).
> The software probably has more like a setupping/monitoring functionality than
> a more active role. Hopefully.

Indeed. It appears the Windows software programs and monitors various
hardware microcontrollers. (And the machines aren't Internet accessible.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/