POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? : Re: You what? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You what?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2011 05:34:19
Message: <4e1eb81b@news.povray.org>
> On 7/13/2011 9:31, Darren New wrote:
> > I don't think it's keyboards as much as it is collation by computers.

> Kind of related, but think about how Chinese dictionaries get sorted, given
> that each word is one character and there are tens of thousands of
> characters in the language, since Andrew brought up chinese to start with.

  After seeing a (Japanese) phone directory in an anime, which was full of
kanji, I wondered how the names get sorted. (I think, although I can't
remember for sure now, that they get sorted by their transliteration to
hiragana, which has a unique and unambiguous ordering.) Then I wondered
how phone directories are sorted in China, given that they don't even have
an alternative script like Japanese has (namely hiragana/katakana). Someone
explained it to me, but I can't remember it now.

  Another interesting question is how they support writing kanji in
cellphones (which have only the classical 0-9 numpad). Yes, they do
support it. It's a bit complicated.

--
                                                          - Warp