POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? : Re: You what? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You what?
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jul 2011 12:31:00
Message: <4e1dc844$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/12/2011 23:57, Warp wrote:
> but in practice they have lost their status as separate independent
> letters.

I'm not surprised. I learned this in high school back in the early 70's. :-)

 > (Possibly the popularization of keyboards has helped this, although
> I think this trend started earlier.)

I don't think it's keyboards as much as it is collation by computers.

For example, it used to be that you'd sort Orwell's 1984 under the O's,
because it starts with "One". Nowadays, libraries have a separate section
for books that start with digits, because nobody wants to support
traditional collation in a computer.

I suspect the same is true of Spanish. Who really wants to sort "ll" after
"lz"?  Words starting with "ch" should come between "cg" and "ci", right?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like