POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CPU instruction sets : Re: CPU instruction sets Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CPU instruction sets
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jul 2011 07:01:35
Message: <4e1d7b0f$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/07/2011 10:02 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> "Would you like to get in and have a drink ?" is not an offer for just a
> drink...

In spoken language, the fact that you mentioned something sometimes
carries as much significance as the thing you mentioned.

For a quick experiment, try saying to somebody "you're going to die".
They all act as if this is some kind of great revelation, rather than a
mundane self-evident fact. Which is kind of amusing - until the beatings
start...

"So... why aren't we doing what Jack Sparrow said?"
"Because it was Mr Sparrow who said it."
"...do you think he wasn't telling the truth?"

Compare:

"OH MY GOD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"
"Oh, wait, you were /actually/ just going to give me some lemonade?"
"YUHUH!"
"Oh, right. Let me get dressed again..."