POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? : Re: You what? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You what?
From: Warp
Date: 13 Jul 2011 02:57:55
Message: <4e1d41f3@news.povray.org>
> Technically, there isn't a 1-to-1 correspondence between letters and
> characters, either.  "ll" is one character, yes?

  In my experience the practice varied. *Technically* speaking, at least
according to archaic Spanish grammar, "ch" and "ll" were their own
independent letters of the alphabet. In practice, however, you nowadays
seldom see them written separately in alphabets. In my experience this is
happened first to "ll", and then to "ch" (sometimes in some alphabets you
could see "ch" as its own letter but not "ll"). I don't know how official
this is, but in practice they have lost their status as separate independent
letters. (Possibly the popularization of keyboards has helped this, although
I think this trend started earlier.)

--
                                                          - Warp