POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Cannot open include file from context menu : Re: Cannot open include file from context menu Server Time
28 Apr 2024 10:34:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cannot open include file from context menu
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 11 Jul 2011 07:14:35
Message: <4e1adb1b$1@news.povray.org>
>> 3. If you create a new directory in a public location (e.g. c:\test)
>>     and add this to the library path, will it work?
>
> No.
>
>> 4. If not, does it help to remove the other library path entries
>>     from the ini file (including, FWIW, the commented one).
>
> No.

hmm that doesn't sound good ... running out of ideas.

>> 5. Does it make a difference running as Administrator?
>
> How do I do that?  (I'm the only user on this computer.)  I used to know these
> things when using a Windows 2000 corporate intranet, but I don't know how it
> works on a home edition.

I'm surprised you managed to use Windows 7 for any amount of time
without requiring this now and then ;) Chances are your account is
an administrator account but on Windows 7 it will by default not
operate with actual administrator priveleges unless a process is
explicitely started with elevation.

Simply right click on an executable (or shortcut to an executable)
and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.

Also this means you probably installed povray as non-admin for
the current user only. This is different from my setup but I think
most users do this (it's default) so this is probably not related
to your issue. Especially since it seems to work for Thomas.

> I did discover a discrepancy.  These helpful, friendly Windows 7 "libraries" are
> going to be the death of me; they've had me thoroughly confused since day one.
> In one place, a directory is called "Documents"; in another, it's called "My
> Documents."

It seems libraries just collect the contents of multiple directories
into one virtual directory, where Libraries\Documents includes both
the contents of My Documents for the current user and the public
documents shared by all users.