POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ubiquitous : Re: Ubiquitous Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubiquitous
From: Warp
Date: 9 Jul 2011 02:15:45
Message: <4e17f211@news.povray.org>
> You'd be absolutely amazed at how much stuff gets stuffed into a cell phone
> chip. Three or four different radio interfaces (i.e., GSM and 3G and 4G and
> CDMA and etc etc), multiple USB root hubs, H.264 and MP4 and MP3 and
> 128-channel surround sound and multiple multi-gigahertz cpus and ....

> I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could drive a decent laptop off what's
> in a cell phone chip these days.

  One argument that some of the moon hoax theorists say is that all the
technology in the lunar module can fit in a cellphone. Supposedly this shows
how "primitive" the technology in the lunar module was.

  That's one of the most idiotic arguments I have ever heard. We are talking
about the 60's here. If there was as much technology in the lunar module as
there is in a modern cellphone, that's actually quite an impressive feat for
the 60's engineers. What surprises me is not that technology has progressed;
what does surprise me is how advanced the technology was in the 60's, if the
claim is true. (In fact, I'm pretty sure that the claim isn't actually true.
They are making an exaggerated claim that, rather ironically, actually makes
the 60's technology look *better* than it probably was.)

  (Of course this is yet another example of dishonesty from the part of
the conspiracy theorists. They abuse the fact that the average person has
no knowledge about how efficient dedicated hardware can be compared to
generic non-dedicated hardware. I'm pretty certain many of these people
do understand this, but they still make the claim, just to have yet another
argument in their shotgun.)

--
                                                          - Warp