POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fail blog : Re: Fail blog Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fail blog
From: Alain
Date: 8 Jul 2011 15:14:29
Message: <4e175715$1@news.povray.org>

> On 08/07/2011 08:55 AM, Warp wrote:
>> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> I eventually stopped following one of the lolcat sites due to the
>>> extreme level of advertising, and the generally diminishing amusement
>>> value.
>>
>> Just use AdBlock Plus. It's surprisingly effective (it can remove ads
>> even
>> from flash videos).
>
> By "extreme level of advertising", I mean "each page takes 45 seconds to
> load, and a further 30 seconds to finish layout".
>
> Still, perhaps AdBlock can fix it. I don't know, I've never used it.
> (Come to think of it, I don't even know where to obtain it. But that can
> be fixed...)
>
> The other reason was that the pictures steadily increased in volume, but
> the actually amusing ones became rarer and rarer...

AdBlock actualy prevent the ads from even starting to load.
It's realy a "Can't live without" addon.

I red reports about sites that suposedly took over a minute to load even
on extreme speed broadband. Those sites only took seconds to load on my
side. Peoples complained a LOT about the adds content of those sites,
while I never was aware that there was even a single add...
There was also floods of complains about dozens of popups when entering
and leaving the pages, popups that I never ever saw :)

Once, I received a link to a "trap" site. It contained a nifty java
script looking like:
on_entry popup URL
on_entry popup URL
on_exit popup URL
on_exit popup URL

Where URL was the URL of the current page.

For me, it was a non-event.