POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ubiquitous : Re: Ubiquitous Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubiquitous
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jul 2011 04:49:49
Message: <4e16c4ad$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/07/2011 09:40 AM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> In the course of various discussions involving RHS Wisley, it has come
>> to my attention that my sister's mobile phone appears to be able to
>> access the Internet somehow. Does anybody happen to know how that's
>> possible?
>
>    Cellphones send and receive digital data to/from the phone company.
> What's so strange in supporting the reception of web pages in addition
> to digitized voice?

Not "strange" - obviously from a theoretical point of view this ought to
be quite simple - I'm just surprised that the practical stuff required
to do this has actually been implemented now.

>    If you want the nitty gritty details, start here and navigate the links
> as needed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

Oh, is *that* what 3G actually means?

(I somehow came away with the impression that 3G was a meaningless
marketing buzzword with no technical basis.)