POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is there such a thing? : Re: Is there such a thing? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there such a thing?
From: Warp
Date: 7 Jul 2011 12:46:04
Message: <4e15e2cb@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> LOL, so I guess you're OK with calling something only 30/40 years
> "Classic". I guess then by that scale, Bob Dylan would be what ...
> antique ;-)

  It depends on the lifespan of the genre. "Classic" or "classical" usually
refers to the beginnings, when the genre was still new and finding its
shape.

  Theatre has existed for thousands of years, hence you wouldn't call
1950's theatre "classical", but instead classical theatre would be something
from 2000 years ago.

  In contrast, rock&roll has existed for less than 100 years, so "classical
rock&roll" would be something like from the 1950's and before.

  Rap began in the 70's and 80's, and hence the classical period of rap
would be from those times.

--
                                                          - Warp