POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The die is cast : Re: The die is cast Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The die is cast
From: Slime
Date: 6 Jul 2011 22:33:18
Message: <4e151aee$1@news.povray.org>
> I'm wondering if this is because non-native speakers learn what words
 > are supposed to mean according to the dictionary, not according to how
 > "most people" actually use the words. Just a theory of course...

I'm a native english speaker (American, in case there's a cultural
difference here) and I've known this since I was a kid. I was actually
quite baffled by your post; I thought you had never heard the word
"dice" before, since it didn't even occur to me that you couldn't have
heard "die" before.

If you're playing a game with one die, this is the word you use. "Roll
the die."

  - Slime