POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Babbage : Re: Babbage Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Babbage
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Jul 2011 05:41:36
Message: <4e103950$1@news.povray.org>
>> Question: When did electricity become common knowledge?
>>
> I would say early to mid 1800's ... 1800 Volta (battery) or ... 1831
> Faraday (electric dynamo)

 From what I can gather from Wikipedia, Babbage's Analytical Engine was
1837. It seems clear that at that data, some scientists at least were
aware of the existence of electricity. But I can't find any word on when
electricity came to be "useful", nor when it became "widely known".

And, obviously, no mention on whether Babbage himself knew it existed. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/