POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monads in C# : Re: Monads in C# Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:34:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monads in C#
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 2 Jul 2011 17:23:06
Message: <4e0f8c3a$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/07/2011 09:52 PM, Warp wrote:

>    So it's all related to preserving the order in which I/O is performed?

In the case of the I/O monad, yes. Basically. (There's also the part
about explicitly marking values which aren't statically guaranteed to be
deterministic... but mainly it's about ensuring ordering.)

Note carefully that not all monads are about ordering things. Indeed,
the "continuation monad" exists basically for the purpose of utterly
obfuscating your program's ordering to the point where even /you/ can no
longer understand what the hell it's doing. (This is probably why nobody
ever uses it...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/