POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monads in C# : Re: Monads in C# Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monads in C#
From: Warp
Date: 2 Jul 2011 15:16:02
Message: <4e0f6e71@news.povray.org>
> Currying, not so much. (Other than that it's something people often do,
> so they use the technical term for it. Rather like inheritance gets
> mentioned a lot in OO languages, even though it's just a short cut for
> duplicating code.)

  The difference, to me, is that I understand what inheritance is and why
it's useful. I can't say the same about currying or monads.

  Btw, in the articles mentioned in the original post the example is
given of making an int "nullable" via a monad (or something along those
lines). I can't comprehend what this has to do with I/O (or, more precisely,
I can't understand what this kind-of "inheritance", which is what it looks
like to me, has to do with I/O), as the I/O monad seems to be one of the
main concepts of haskell.

--
                                                          - Warp